Search This Blog

Wednesday 12 October 2016

Welcome to my blog!

This blog is a place where I want to share information about movies, series, novels, comics, etc. These will be mainly French-speaking but might also come from or be about any corner of the world. As the Graduate Teaching Assistant in French at Bangor University (UK) I always encourage my students to actively engage with the culture they study or are interested in. Whilst this is a fundamental part of learning a language, I also think this can be positive for anybody. However, it might be quite tricky to keep up to date with what is released in other countries or with anything that is worth watching or reading. 

The aim of my articles is not to present the best items but to mirror a selection of what I experienced and think you might all appreciate. I also see this space as a platform to exchange opinions and reflect on these different works so please never hesitate to comment, give feedback or put forward any ideas you might have. I will provide (hopefully) once a week a presentation of one interesting work I personally selected and give you the basic information as well as a summary and a review or comment. Besides, I will also write once in a while a more in-depth analysis and presentation on one specific book or movie in order to open the debate or give you ideas on how to study films and literary works.

----------------

Who am I?

My name is Logan Labrune and I am a Belgian PhD candidate in French Studies and the French Teaching Assistant at Bangor University (UK). I graduated with high honours from the UCL (Belgium) and wrote my MA dissertation titled Post-Punk Monsters: a Study of Graphic Instability and the Uncanny in Grimly’s Frankenstein. My research focuses on graphic adaptations of classics. My PhD project involves comics studies as well as adaptations studies and investigates canonical texts such as Melville’s Moby Dick, Stoker’s Dracula; Hugo’s The Hunchback of Notre-Dame and Verne’s Around the World in Eighty Days. I have presented my works at various international academic conferences such as the ACME Speakers series (Liège, Belgium) or the IGNCC (Manchester, UK), and will be presenting soon at the Comics Forum (Leeds, UK). I am also a peer-reviewer for the SANE Journal: Sequential Art Narrative in Education and Assistant Editor of Dovetail, an academic peer-reviewed journal based at Bangor university. I recently joined the FLAME Research group which focuses on Film, Language and Media in Education as well as the Filta Community.

2 comments:

  1. Je suis ravie d'avoir trouvé votre blog. J'aime bien regarder des filmes français pour améliorer mes études de la langue française. Right now the filmes you mentioned aren't widely available in the US, but I have put them on my list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oui j'essaye de mélanger films connus et des films peut-être plus originaux également donc pas toujours facile de tout trouver. Merci pour le commentaire en tout cas.

    ReplyDelete